Milk Processing From Udder to Butter | New Business Age - monthly business magazine in English published from Nepal
× Cover Story Interview Nepal’s Top 30 Business Houses Leadership Automobile Vaastu For Business 4th Newbiz Business Conclave Awards 2017 Nobel Prize in Economics 2017 Tourism Watch Educational Management Best Print Advertisement Published on NBA 2073-74 3rd National B-schools Rating-Ranking-Awards 2017 Investing Organisational Management Company Profile Education Dataspeak Business Visitors Nepal Politics Economy and Policy Cover Story Corporate Focus Business Financing Sectoral Tourism Trends Business Education Startup Scene Stock Taking Liquor Indicators Crossword Corporate Movements Living + Personality Interview No Laughing Matter Special Photospeak

September 2017 Photospeak

Published on: 2017-09-10 14:35:22     892 times read    0  Comments

Dairy farming is a major agriculture-based business in Nepal with a history dating back many years. The business which had remained in the traditional form has been modernised with the use of new technology mostly over the last 3-4 decades. Nepali dairy farms which used to produce basic traditional dairy products such as milk, yoghurt, ghee and mohi (buttermilk) are now engaged in a whole range of activities including the production of pasteurised milk, soured milk, butter, soft cheese, hard cheese, ice cream and milk confectionaries.  With the rising population and increasing income of Nepalis, the demand of milk products has increased over the years. 

The state-owned Dairy Development Corporation (DDC) covers 40 percent of demand of milk and dairy products in the country. Meanwhile, private dairies and local producers in villages and towns fulfill the remaining 60 percent. DDC has been producing 6 million litres of milk monthly to produce pasteurised milk and various milk products.  Since, the raw milk produced within the country does not meet the demand, skimmed milk in powder form is imported from India and other countries. In FY 2016/17, Nepal imported milk products around Rs 3 billion. In the meantime, the dairy business contributes 10 percent to the national economy of Nepal.  The following photos depict the milk product making process at Bhadrakali Dairy and DDC. 

Photos: Saroj Ranjit


#  
No comments yet. Be the first one to comment.
Success Upon Success

Success Upon Success

By Madan Lamsal

The ministers have been working really hard for the country and its people but the people seemingly haven’t got the message. They keep complaining against the government and criticising it perhaps only because they have so much free time. You can protest against anyone but you are not supposed to . . . read more »